Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Big Questions from Little Hearts

"Mama, will I go to heaven?"

It was bedtime, the light had been turned off, and I was saying a final goodnight to his brothers. My youngest beckoned me over and whispered this question in my ear. I was surprised, not only because it seemingly came out of nowhere but also because I knew that my son already knew the answer to his own question. Yet clearly something had prompted Asa to wonder anew about his salvation.

"Do you believe in Jesus?" I asked.

"Yes," he answered without hesitation.

"Then, yes, you'll go to heaven." I reminded him what the Bible teaches us: that all we have to do is believe in Jesus and we'll be with Him in heaven. Referencing John 1:12, which we had just read earlier that day, I said, "Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God."

The truth is that we don't have to do anything special to be saved. We don't have to do anything at all. Jesus alone did what needed to be done, and beyond that we don't need to do anything to be in God's good graces.

The comforting assurance I meant to impart to my son did not come. Asa was restless, agitated even.

"But what if I'm not committed?" he asked. "Like Paul. What if I'm not committed like he is?"

"Do you mean, what if you're not as great a Christian as Paul was?"

"Yeah."

Oh, precious son of mine! How the human heart so easily betrays us and questions the truths of God! Yet what follower of Jesus hasn't asked this question in some form? The variations are many, but the essence is the same: Have I done enough? Am I enough?

Often these moments of self-doubt come on the heels of comparison. Have I done enough, like that person? Am I enough, like that person?

Asa was thinking about the apostle Paul and felt that he couldn't compare with such a man, couldn't live up to someone of such commitment.

It's an idea that we are familiar with - the notion that missionaries and other people in ministry are on a pedestal - and an idea that we soundly denounce. But the human heart has a way of convincing us that we are not enough, even if we've been taught and nurtured to know and believe otherwise.

I am a missionary, like Paul. Will I ever have the same kind of impact that Paul had? No, certainly not. I am confident of that. But I am no less worthy of God's love and salvation, no less worthy of His attention, than the apostle Paul. I believe in Jesus, just like Paul did. And I am secure in Christ because of my belief.

So is my son. I reminded him that when Jesus died on the cross, there were two other people crucified at the same time, right next to Him. They were both criminals and one of them, while dying on his own cross, realized who Jesus was and believed in Him then and there. And Jesus said to him, "Today you will be with me in paradise." I told Asa, "That man was a thief and had made some bad decisions in his life, but none of that mattered in the end. The only thing that mattered was that he believed in Jesus. Remember the verse we were just talking about? All we have to do is believe. That's it."

When we do believe, hopefully we'll want to live in a way that glorifies God and pleases His heart. "We'll keep making mistakes our whole life," I said, "because we'll still be sinners our whole life, but hopefully our love for God will impact the way we live and impact the choices we make."

Which brought us back to Paul. Paul loved the Lord and his life was never the same after he made a decision to believe in Jesus. His complete devotion to the Lord was rather awe-inspiring. As my son noted, Paul was truly committed to Jesus.

But the good news is that we don't have to follow in Paul's footsteps in order to love God and glorify Him. We don't have to be a missionary or a pastor or a preacher or do any other kind of intentional ministry. We can love God and bring Him glory in a myriad of ways as we pursue the gifts He has given us.

"Did you know your grandma has been a singer her whole life?" I asked Asa. His head perked up - that kid is a singing machine and was clearly invested in where this conversation was going. "She's been singing ever since she was a kid. And she has been glorifying God by singing her whole life. God gave her the gift of singing, and she loves it and is passionate about it, and she glorifies God and pleases His heart just by singing."

I gave him another example. "What did your grandpa do for a job?"

"He was a doctor."

"Right. Was he a missionary doctor like your dad?"

"No."

"Right. He was a regular doctor in Michigan for decades. And he glorified God by being a doctor. We can all glorify God and please His heart by being regular people doing regular things. Isn't that good news?"

"Mmm hmm."

I asked if he knew what God said is the greatest commandment? Asa shook his head. "To love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. That's it: love God." I assured him there are many ways we can love God. We can do it by singing, or praying, or working hard, or by doing nothing and resting!

"Did you know that one of the Ten Commandments is to observe the Sabbath and just rest?" Asa did not know that, and judging by the look on his face he was either confounded or amazed or both. (But aren't we all a bit confounded and amazed by that truth?) "We can love God by doing nothing! Isn't that great?" Asa nodded and smiled.

I have said many times that the only true calling any of us have is to love God back. How we do that will look as different as each set of fingerprints on the planet. But at the end of the day (and the end of our time here on earth), the only thing that will matter is if we've responded to the invitation to love God back.

My prayer for our children is that they'll know how loved and cherished they are, and that they'll choose to love God in return. If they do, nothing else matters. The details of how they spend their days and what they do with their lives will be of little consequence because, ultimately, they'll be spending their days and their whole lives loving God.

And, hopefully, their love for Him will impact the way they live. That is true for all of us: our love for God helps us to glorify Him.

"Is Dad glorifying God by not coming home?" Asa asked.

Context: Earlier we'd learned that Eli would not be coming home in time to see the boys before bed like we'd thought. He was flying back from Minnesota and was currently stuck in Chicago with no clear answer as to when he'd make it home. Asa had been rather upset at the news, and now he asked an insightfully good question.

Here's what I said:

"I think Dad can glorify God whether he stays in Chicago or whether he comes home. You know why? Because I think glorifying God is less about whether our plans succeed or not and more about how we respond to our plans succeeding or not. If Dad lets his disappointment and frustration make him speak with anger to other people, then he's not glorifying God. But if he chooses to be patient and content, if he speaks to the airline employees with kindness and gratefulness, then he's glorifying God."

To make a final point, I asked him, "Do you remember the fruits of the Spirit?" (On a side note, when I recited them for Asa he corrected me that I'd forgotten about goodness. That precious child of mine knows his Scripture!) "If Dad is loving and kind and patient and so forth, then he is glorifying God whether he comes home tonight or not."

Asa nodded, no longer restless or agitated. This little believer in Jesus has a heart trying to understand Him more, and I praise the Lord for these opportunities to think through these important questions together and remember the truths He's given us.

Heaven is waiting for all who believe in Jesus. And as I've said before and will keep on saying, the only true calling any of us have is to love God back. But let me add an addendum: The only true calling any of us have is to love God back and to allow that love for Him to help us glorify Him forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment